Social media suspended in Gabon for ‘spreading of false information’

Gabon’s media regulator has announced the suspension of social media platforms “until further notice”, saying online content has fuelled conflict and deepened divisions in the country.

In a televised statement on Tuesday evening, the High Authority for Communication (HAC) cited the “spread of false information”, “cyberbullying” and the “unauthorised disclosure of personal data” as reasons for the decision.

Internet monitoring group NetBlocks reported that by Wednesday afternoon multiple online platforms had been restricted, including Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube and WhatsApp.

Gabon is led by Gen Brice Oligui Nguema, who won presidential elections last year after leading a coup in 2023.

The 50-year-old president is facing growing social unrest, with teachers and civil servants staging strikes over pay and working conditions.

According to Netblocks, most internet providers had blocked access to the social media platforms, though its data showed that Gabon Telecom, the country’s largest telecoms firm, was allowing very limited access.

The HAC’s announcement has come as a shock to the central African nation of about 2.5 million people, where social media is particular popular with younger people who use it for business as well as pleasure.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a restaurant owner in the capital, Libreville, told the BBC the suspension would greatly affect his business, since he uses social media for promotion.

Gabon’s media regulator has announced the suspension of social media platforms “until further notice”, saying online content has fuelled conflict and deepened divisions in the country.

In a televised statement on Tuesday evening, the High Authority for Communication (HAC) cited the “spread of false information”, “cyberbullying” and the “unauthorised disclosure of personal data” as reasons for the decision.

Internet monitoring group NetBlocks reported that by Wednesday afternoon multiple online platforms had been restricted, including Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube and WhatsApp.

Gabon is led by Gen Brice Oligui Nguema, who won presidential elections last year after leading a coup in 2023.

The 50-year-old president is facing growing social unrest, with teachers and civil servants staging strikes over pay and working conditions.

According to Netblocks, most internet providers had blocked access to the social media platforms, though its data showed that Gabon Telecom, the country’s largest telecoms firm, was allowing very limited access.

The HAC’s announcement has come as a shock to the central African nation of about 2.5 million people, where social media is particular popular with younger people who use it for business as well as pleasure.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a restaurant owner in the capital, Libreville, told the BBC the suspension would greatly affect his business, since he uses social media for promotion.